On for the time being, Jan. 17 …
1922: Betty White, superstar of “The Mary Tyler Moore Display veil,” “The Golden Girls,” and “Hot in Cleveland,” is born in Oak Park, In heart-broken health.
Furthermore on for the time being:
- 1806: Thomas Jefferson’s daughter, Martha, offers birth to James Madison Randolph, the first minute one born within the White Dwelling.
- 1917: Denmark cedes the Virgin Islands to the US for $25 million.
Popeye The Sailor Meets Sindbad TheSailor USA 1936 (Photo by Getty Images)
- 1929: Popeye the Sailor makes his debut within the “Thimble Theatre” silly strip.
- 1945: Soviet and Polish forces liberate Warsaw at some point soon of World Battle II; Swedish diplomat Raoul Wallenberg, credited with saving tens of hundreds of Jews, disappears in Hungary while in Soviet custody.
- 1961: President Dwight D. Eisenhower delivers his farewell take care of whereby he warns against “the acquisition of unwarranted impression, whether or now no longer sought or unsought, by the protection power-industrial complex.”
- 1977: Convicted assassin Gary Gilmore is shot by a firing squad at Utah Explain Penal complex within the first U.S. execution in a decade.
- 1984: The U.S. Supreme Court docket, in Sony Corp. of America v. Universal City Studios, Inc., tips 5-4 that the exercise of home video cassette recorders to tape tv applications for inside most viewing would no longer violate federal copyright licensed pointers.
- 1995: Higher than 6,000 of us are killed when an earthquake with a magnitude of seven.2 devastates the town of Kobe, Japan.
- 1996: Sheik Omar Abdel-Rahman and 9 followers are handed lengthy penal complex sentences for plotting to blow up Fresh York-notify landmarks.
- 1998: The Drudge Impart says Newsweek magazine killed a tale about an affair between President Invoice Clinton and an unidentified White Dwelling intern, the same day Clinton offers a deposition in Paula Jones’ sexual harassment lawsuit against him whereby he denies having had a sexual relationship with Monica Lewinsky.
- 2001: Faced with an electrical energy crisis, California uses rolling blackouts to slice off energy to hundreds of hundreds of of us; Gov. Gray Davis signs an emergency command authorizing the notify to determine on energy. (Davis, a Democrat, is later recalled by voters, who then elect Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger to change him.)
- 2009: Israel declares a unilateral live-fireplace in its 22-day Gaza offensive.
- 2014: President Barack Obama orders original limits on the system intelligence officers entry telephone records from hundreds of hundreds of hundreds of American citizens.
- 2014: Appearing Surgeon Ordinary Boris Lushniak marks the 50th anniversary of the Surgeon Ordinary’s file on smoking and effectively being by announcing one in 13 children might presumably well discover their lives shortened by smoking unless the nation takes a extra aggressive motion to discontinue the tobacco epidemic.
- 2014: A Vatican doc purchased by The Linked Press presentations that in his last two years as pope, Benedict XVI defrocked nearly about 400 priests for raping and molesting children.