On within the intervening time, Feb. 29, Jump Day …
2004: “The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King” wins a file-tying 11 Academy Awards, alongside side most productive image; Sean Penn wins for most productive actor in “Mystic River” and Charlize Theron wins most productive actress for her portrayal of serial killer Aileen Wuornos in “Monster.”
Additionally on within the intervening time:
- 1504: Christopher Columbus, stranded in Jamaica at some stage in his fourth voyage to the West, makes utilize of a precisely predicted lunar eclipse to frighten opposed natives into providing food for his crew.
- 1796: President George Washington announces Jay’s Treaty, which settles some outstanding variations with Britain, in enact.
- 1904: President Theodore Roosevelt appoints a seven-member rate to facilitate the completion of the Panama Canal.
- 1916: Entertainer and TV persona Dinah Shore is born Frances Rose Shore in Winchester, Tenn. (Shore would converse March 1, 1917 as her birthdate.)
- 1936: President Franklin D. Roosevelt indicators a 2d Neutrality Act as he appeals to American agencies no longer to amplify exports to belligerent nations.
- 1940: “Gone with the Wind” wins eight Academy Awards, alongside side most productive image; Hattie McDaniel wins for most productive supporting actress, changing into the first African-American honored with an Oscar.
- 1960: The principle Playboy Club, that contains waitresses clad in “bunny” outfits, opens in Chicago.
- 1968: President Lyndon B. Johnson’s National Advisory Commission on Civil Disorders (in most cases identified as the Kerner Commission) warns that racism is inflicting The USA to drag “in the direction of two societies, one shaded, one white – separate and unequal.”
- 1968: The invention of a “pulsar” — a superstar which emits fashioned radio waves — is announced by Dr. Jocelyn Bell Burnell in Cambridge, England.
- 1980: Yigal Allon, worn international minister of Israel who performed critical feature within the Jewish stammer’s fight for independence, dies at age 61.
- 1984: Canadian High Minister Pierre Elliott Trudeau (father of unique Canadian High Minister Justin Trudeau) proclaims he is stepping down after extra than 15 combined years in vitality.
- 1996: Daniel Inexperienced is convicted in Lumberton, N.C., of murdering James R. Jordan, the father of basketball legend Michael Jordan, at some stage in a 1993 roadside holdup. (Inexperienced and an accomplice, Larry Martin Demery, may perhaps well well perhaps be sentenced to lifestyles in penal advanced.)
- 2004: Facing riot, Haitian President Jean-Bertrand Aristide resigns and is compelled into exile within the Central African Republic. (Aristide would return to Haiti in March 2011.)
- 2008: At a advertising and marketing and marketing campaign occasion in Houston, Democratic presidential hopeful Barack Obama accuses rival Hillary Rodham Clinton of seeking to “play on of us’s fears to dismay up votes” with a TV advert exhibiting slumbering teens and asking who may perhaps well well perhaps be extra licensed to reply to a nationwide safety emergency name at 3 a.m.
- 2012: Davy Jones, the heartthrob singer of the made-for-TV rock band The Monkees, died in Stuart, Fla. at age 66.