(AP Photograph/Charlie Neibergall, File)
On within the meanwhile, Feb. 3 …
1959: “The Day the Song Died” – Rock-and-roll stars Buddy Holly, Ritchie Valens and J.P. “The Giant Bopper” Richardson die in a diminutive plane wreck shut to Obvious Lake, Iowa.
Additionally on within the meanwhile:
- 1690: The principle paper money in The US is issued by the Massachusetts Bay Colony to finance a military expedition to Canada.
- 1913: The 16th Modification to the U.S. Constitution, providing for a federal income tax, is ratified.
- 1930: William Howard Taft, the 27th president of the United States, resigns as chief justice for health causes. (He would die true over a month later.)
- 1943: All by method of World War II, the U.S. transport ship SS Dorchester, which is carrying troops to Greenland, sinks after being hit by a German torpedo within the Labrador Sea; of the more than 900 men aboard, handiest some 230 continue to exist.
- 1966: The Soviet probe Luna 9 turns into the first artifical object to plan a comfortable landing on the moon.
- 1988: The U.S. Dwelling of Representatives hands President Ronald Reagan a valuable defeat, rejecting his request for $36.2 million in new abet to the Nicaraguan Contras by a vote of 219-211.
- 1994: The placement shuttle Discovery lifts off, carrying Sergei Krikalev, the first Russian cosmonaut to waft aboard a U.S. spacecraft.
- 1995: Discovery blasts off with a lady, Air Power Lieutenant Colonel Eileen Collins, within the pilot’s seat for the first time in NASA historical past.
Karla Faye Tucker, shown in this undated portray, in Gatesville, Texas, lost an enchantment Monday, Dec. 8, 1997, forward of the U.S. Supreme Court docket, clearing the system for the first execution of a lady in Texas since 1863. Tucker used to be convicted of the 1983 killing of a Houston man with a pickax. (AP Photograph)
- 1998: Texas executes Karla Faye Tucker, 38, for the pickax killings of two other folks in 1983; she is the first lady done within the United States since 1984.
- 2002: Super Bowl XXXVI: The Unique England Patriots beat the St. Louis Rams 20-17 on the Louisiana Superdome in Unique Orleans.
- 2008: Super Bowl XLII: The Unique York Giants beat the Unique England Patriots 17-14 on the College of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz.
- 2009: Eric Holder turns into the first sad U.S. authorized official traditional as he is sworn in by Vice President Joe Biden.
- 2013: Super Bowl XLVII: The Baltimore Ravens beat the San Francisco 49ers 34-31 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Unique Orleans.
- 2019: Super Bowl LIII: The Unique England Patriots beat the Los Angeles Rams 13-3 at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta.