On on the moment, Dec. 2 …
1954: The U.S. Senate passes, 67-22, a resolution condemning Sen. Joseph R. McCarthy, R-Wis., saying he had “acted contrary to senatorial ethics and tended to lift the Senate into dishonor and disrepute.”
Also on on the moment:
- 1823: President James Monroe outlines his doctrine opposing European growth within the Western Hemisphere.
- 1859: Militant abolitionist John Brown is hanged for his raid on Harpers Ferry the outdated October.
- 1859: Artist Georges-Pierre Seurat is born in Paris.
- 1927: Ford Motor Co. unveils its Mannequin A automobile that replaces its Mannequin T.
- 1939: Unusual York Municipal Airport-LaGuardia Field (later LaGuardia Airport) goes into operation as an airliner from Chicago lands at one minute previous center of the evening.
- 1942: An artificially created, self-sustaining nuclear chain response is demonstrated for the first time on the College of Chicago.
- 1957: The Shippingport Atomic Energy Region in Pennsylvania, the first paunchy-scale commercial nuclear facility within the U.S., begins operations. (The reactor would slay working in 1982.)
- 1970: The newly created Environmental Protection Company opens its doorways below its first director, William D. Ruckelshaus.
- 1982: In the first operation of its kind, scientific doctors on the College of Utah Medical Center implant a permanent synthetic heart within the chest of retired dentist Dr. Barney Clark, who would live 112 days with the intention.
- 1993: Colombian drug lord Pablo Escobar is shot to death by security forces in Medellin.
- 2001: In a single of the largest company bankruptcies in U.S. history, Enron info for Chapter 11 safety.
- 2015: A pair exact to Islamic Relate opened fireplace at a vacation ceremonial dinner for public staff in San Bernardino, Calif., killing 14 of us and wounding 21 others sooner than death in a shootout with police.
- 2017: ABC News suspends investigative reporter Brian Ross for four weeks with out pay for an untrue file about President Trump’s ancient nationwide security adviser Michael Flynn. (Ross had reported that then-candidate Trump had directed Flynn to provide contact with the Russians; Ross clarified the file hours later, saying that his source now talked about Trump had no longer performed so as a candidate, but as president-elect.) Ross would breeze away the network in 2018.