On for the time being, Jan. 26 …
1998: President Bill Clinton forcefully denies having an affair with a veteran White Dwelling intern, telling reporters, “I did not have sexual kin with that lady, Trail away out Lewinsky.”
Also on for the time being:
- 1784: In a letter to his daughter Sarah, Benjamin Franklin expresses disappointment over the volume of the bald eagle because the image of The US, and states his own preference: the turkey.
- 1939: Predominant photography begins for David O. Selznick’s movie model of “Long previous with the Wind.”
- 1942: The first American Expeditionary Force to transfer to Europe at some stage in World Battle II arrives in Belfast, Northern Eire.
- 1961: Hockey legend Wayne Gretzky is born in Brantford, Ontario, Canada.
- 1962: The US launches Ranger 3 to land scientific devices on the moon, however the probe finally ends up missing its target by more than 22,000 miles.
- 1986: Much Bowl XX: The Chicago Bears defeat the Novel England Patriots 46-10 on the Louisiana Superdome in Novel Orleans.
- 1988: The Andrew Lloyd Webber musical, “Phantom of the Opera,” opens at Broadway’s Majestic Theater.
- 1992: Much Bowl XXVI: The Washington Redskins beat the Buffalo Bills 37-24 on the Metrodome in Minneapolis.
- 1992: Democratic presidential candidate Bill Clinton, appearing alongside with his wife, Hillary, on CBS’ “60 Minutes,” acknowledges “inflicting anguish in my marriage,” but says previous concerns are no longer associated to the campaign.
- 1993: Vaclav Havel is elected president of the newly shaped Czech Republic.
- 1997: Much Bowl XXXI: The Green Bay Packers beat the Novel England Patriots 35-21 on the Louisiana Superdome in Novel Orleans.
- 2003: Secretary of Recount Colin Powell, citing Iraq’s lack of cooperation with U.N. inspectors, says he has misplaced faith within the inspectors’ skill to behavior a definitive maintain up for banned weapons programs.
- 2003: Much Bowl XXXVII: The Tampa Bay Buccaneers rout the Oakland Raiders, 48-21 at Qualcomm Stadium (now SDCCU Stadium) in San Diego.
- 2009: The impeachment trial of Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich opens in Springfield, with Blagojevich refusing to participate, claiming the principles are biased against him.
- 2009: Nadya Suleman gives initiating to 6 boys and two girls, the enviornment’s longest-surviving predicament of octuplets, at Kaiser Permanente Bellflower Scientific Center in California. She is dubbed “Octomom.”
- 2018: A jury in suburban Novel Orleans finds Ronald Gasser responsible of manslaughter within the shooting loss of life of NFL working lend a hand Joe McKnight in a December 2016 dual carriageway-rage battle of phrases.